Saturday, November 28, 2009

Cannot display thumbnails of RVT/RFA files in Windows Explorer

The other day, I was installing Revit Architecture 2010 at my customer place. I realized that the Windows Explorer in Windows Vista just does not display the proper thumbnails (preview) of Revit projects (.RVT) and Revit families (.RFA). Re-installation also does not seems to help either.

After some googling, I found the solution as follows:

Run the command window in the Administrator mode (under Windows Start type "cmd", right-click on the result and choose "Run as Administrator"). In the command line then type:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010\Program\RevitPreview.dll"

This will re-register the DLL library for previews - RevitPreview.dll. A message confirming a successfull registration of the DLL module should appear. After this, the thumbnails (preview) will appear properly.

2 comments:

BhavesH Vaghela said...

i m try this.. but i cant show. how to rearrange?

JimAlifSiin said...

Hi,
I'm not sure wether we can also do like the suggestion you've mentioned onto WindowsXP. I've done as what you wrote, but instead of 'C:', I've changed it to 'D:', where my Revit program installed and I received this error message;

LoadLibrary("D:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010\Program\RevitPreview.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found.